CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, November 28, 2011

When the Cape Comes Off

Some women seem to have it all together.  On the outside, they seem flawless - their house sparkles, they have a successful career, they perfectly balance work and family, they spend time daily with God and they lead a small group at church.  They look like Superwoman.  But sooner or later, the cape has to come off.

The truth is, every woman, every day - no matter how long she's followed Jesus or how much she seems to have it all together - fights battles.  For some, it's depression.  For others, it's habitual sins they struggle to overcome.  For others, it's addiction, haunting memories of abuse, loneliness, feeling overwhelmed, a negative attitude, or any number of other battles.

There are who people who think that, because I'm a pastor's wife, I'm automatically a super-Christian.  They think that I have it all together, that I have all the answers, and that I don't fight the same battles everyone else fights.  WRONG!  There's no cape.  There's no "S" on my chest.  I'm a messed up, sinful person, saved only by the grace of a God much bigger than my faults.

None of us have arrived.  None of us are good enough.  I love Paul's words in Philippians 3:13-14 (NASB): "Brethren, I do not regard myself as having laid hold of it yet; but one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and reaching forward to what lies ahead, I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus."  If anyone had a right to claim the status of super-Christian, it was Paul.  But he didn't wear a cape either - he was as flawed as we are.

We all know we're weak and flawed, but here's the scary part: we need to let people see our weakness.  The world is crying out for real, authentic people with real faith.  Think about it: if someone is struggling in their faith, do they need to see someone whose like they think they can never live up to, or a real Christian?  It's okay to take off the cape and stop pretending.  We need to admit that we can't do it all.  When you take that first step, you'll be amazed at how many others do the same.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Love this in so many ways! My cape flew off a long time ago :)

Meredith said...

Yes!

And the beautiful thing is that the transparency and vulnerability and authenticity that is pouring out of blogs all over the place right now is slowing making its way into our real lives...

At least in my own.
Not backing down or lowering my voice in the teachers room when talking with a Christian colleague..
Sharing openly about what God is doing with our church plant.

As a public school teacher I have placed even MORE invisible boundaries around myself than what are really there... and I am learning to let go of those and trust God.

Anonymous said...

I also love how Paul went from being the least of the disciples to the worst of all sinners over the course of his ministry. The closer He was to God, the more he realized he was a sinner. Great post! We definitely need to be more honest about the fact that we are all sinful, saved by His grace. No supermom capes here!

Related Posts with Thumbnails