CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, March 14, 2011

Working With Delight

We hear the message over and over, from many different sources:  Staying at home with your children is the right thing to do.  Godly women stay home.  The best moms are stay at home moms.  The tide has definitely shifted from the days when stay at home moms were looked down on.  I'm so glad that attitudes have changed when it comes to mothers who choose not to work outside the home.  Staying home with your children is an amazing, incredible experience - I know because I did it for almost four years.
But what about those of us who can't afford to stay home?  What about the moms who spent years building their career and don't want to walk away from it?  What about the moms who truly feel that God has called them to their work?  Where do Christian working moms turn for support?  The tide has turned in support of staying at home - but it's turned so much that Christian working moms, who have a foot in two worlds, often feel left out in the cold.  So many times, the message now seems to be that if you're not staying home, you're not a good enough mom.
I've searched for online resources and books for Christian working moms, and I've found that they are few and far between.  Many offer ways to reduce your spending and tell you that you can tighten your belt and stay home, or they offer ideas for starting your own home business.  For us, that's not option...unless we sell our 1,600 square foot house and live off ramen noodles and hot dogs.  I need real, practical advice on how to balance my life - family, home, work, church, and everything else I juggle in a day.

After months of wondering where all the resources are and not finding them, I decided to start building my own resources.  I've talked to many other moms who feel the same way.  I'm very excited to start my new weekly feature, Working with Delight.  Proverbs 31:13 describes a Godly woman, saying, "She looks for wool and flax and works with her hands in delight."  As Christian working moms, it's my prayer that we'll learn to find delight in the roles that God has led us to.  I'm looking forward to sharing resources, interviews, guest posts and more!

I'd love to hear your thoughts and ideas!  You can connect with me through comments, email me at amandablogs79(at)yahoo(dot)com, or Tweet me @amandablogs.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow! Wow wow wow! I'm so thankful that you've written this and I am going to stay tuned for the series. I just went back to work after my year long maternity leave was up and I feel so guilty. I feel guilty and frustrated that I can't be the Mommy I want to be - the Mommy who can juggle everything.

Jenny said...

I am so excited that you are starting this series! I identify with everything you posted. As a Christian working mom I often feel like an outcast. I have also looked for books and blogs and encouragement only to be disappointed. I look forward to the positive, working mom community that will be created in this series. Thank you!

Corrina said...

I just lost my comment...hopefully it doesn't show up later. I totally identify with all of that. I feel so alone as a christian working mom, even though people do understand staying at home isn't a financial option for us right now. My heart breaks daily leaving my kids, even though I am still their full-time mom and they always come first. I won this book recently from the work, wife, mom, life blog--but haven't started it yet. http://www.amazon.com/Chasing-Superwoman-Working-Adventures-Faith/dp/1434764621

Carol said...

Everything you said is so true. I have the added "baggage" of being a homeschooler too. We aren't supposed to leave our children. I am one who works partially because I enjoy it but mostly because we really can't get by without my extra income. Luckily now we are starting our own business and the kids are with their dad while I work my second job. I feel like an outsider with my homeschooling friends, most of whom don't work at all. I had to make a mental adjustment in the last year that I can't do all the things I used to do when I stayed home but I can offer different experiences for my children.
Looking forward to more in the series.
Carol (@ckpozos)

Lina said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lina said...

Thank you... just what I need.

Related Posts with Thumbnails