CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, April 4, 2011

Battling Distractions

I will be the first to admit, this is a tough one for me.  I tend to be flighty unfocused easily distracted.  In the middle of working on one thing, I'll think of something else that has to be done, so I'll start it.  Then something else comes to mind - and I end up leaving for work or going to bed with a string of half-finished jobs behind me, feeling like I accomplished nothing.  Sound familiar?

So how do you keep distractions at bay?  Here are a few tips I'm trying...

1. Step away from the computer and/or the smart phone!
The internet is far and away my biggest distractor.  I could easily spend hours on Twitter, Facebook, blogs, or even Angry Birds.  (I know, it's sad, but true.)  I have found that the best way to get avoid distraction is to step away from it.  Otherwise I'll be checking every email, every tweet, and every status update as they come to my phone.

2. Set a timer.
I used to hate loading and unloading the dishwasher.  I don't know why, but I hated it, dreaded it, put it off - it was bad.  So one day I decided to time myself to see how long it actually took me to finish the dreaded task.  Do you know how long it look me?  Five minutes.  Suddenly, it didn't seem so bad anymore, and it was much easier to just get it done.  It's also easier to focus on a large job knowing that once that timer beeps, you can quit, even if it's just for a short break.

3. Focus on three to five main goals.
I love the Daily Docket printable at Simple Mom!  It's such a great way to have your entire day's plan in one place.  I tuck one into the front pocket of my day planner.  I especially love the MIT list for your three most important tasks of the day.

What are you best tips for battling distractions?  Jump over to the My Community tab to join in the discussion!

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails