Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Working Mom Wednesday!

Wednesday came fast this's been a busy one!  Here are today's prompts...

#1. Birth stories! {I loved giving birth and love hearing other birth stories... share one of yours!}

#2. Do you have your own bank account or do you share with your spouse? (If you have your own, why?)
Well, my oldest son's birth was amazing, but overall pretty uneventful - my labor was induced, everything was planned out...then my youngest came along.
I'd been having some problems with pregnancy #2, but I thought it had all settled down.  Then I went to my eight month checkup (on a Friday) and was told that I had already started dilating and that I needed to stay off my feet.  I went home, called my boss (I worked very part-time) and told her I couldn't come back to work until the baby came along, then I stayed off my feet.
Fast forward to Monday...I needed to pick up a few groceries, so my hubby went with me to help.  First, though, he had to go to jail - not as bad as it sounds!  A church member's son was there, so Robby (who is a pastor) went to pray with him.  When he went in, he had to leave his cell phone, so I had no way to contact him...and he ended up being there for 45 minutes. 
Meanwhile, soon after he went in, I started having contractions.  I thought it was Braxton-Hicks, which I'd been having for weeks...but 45 minutes later, when he came out, I was still having them.  I casually mentioned it to him, but I still wanted to get groceries.  Thankfully, he insisted I go to my doctor.
He sped across town to my ob's office.  We ended up being followed by a cop, lights flashing, who just told my husband to have a nice day after I waddled into the office.  It was there I found out that I was now dilated to a four - surprise! - and in full labor.  He sent me straight to the hospital.
Mass panic ensued.  Still almost a month from my due date, my bag wasn't packed, the diaper bag wasn't packed, my house was a wreck, our camera and camcorder were at home, and we still didn't have any groceries.  My family was several hours away, leaving me in labor with no one to watch our then three year old son.  Robby is never rattled by anything - he's always the calm one - but I have never seen him so nervous.
He left me at the hosptial, taking our son home to get a few things together.  We were both hoping desperately that Spencer wouldn't come before Robby got back!  He made it back with our stuff, and a church member showed up minutes later to stay with our oldest son, Bobby.  My family made it, too.  I temporarily lost all movement and feeling in my right arm (still not sure what happened but it was pretty scary) and finally, a little after 8:00 p.m. our little guy arrived.
The adventures didn't end there - he spent 8 days in the NICU - but in the end, we went home with a perfectly healthy baby.  It was quite an much so that we decided two kids was enough!  lol  Of course, it was totally worth it all.  And of course, being a proud mom, I have to include a recent pic of both my precious guys...


Julia said...

wow!! what a story!! I love baby stories!!! so glad your hubs made it therE!! and your boys are so cute!

Funky Mama Bird said...

Yow! My heart was racing just reading this! Glad everything worked out well in the end.

BigD said...

Wednesday Working Mom visitor!
I think everyone who has one predictable labor should have one that's not, just to make up for it!
Glad you have healthy boys!
Happy Wednesday!

Related Posts with Thumbnails