CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Making a Habit


I have a lot of new habits I want to create in the new year.  I have a lot of goals I want to accomplish.  One thing I have learned about creating habits is that it takes perseverance.

One of my goals is to spend daily quiet time in Bible study, prayer, Scripture memory, and stillness, listening to God.  I've done well with those goals before, but I tend to be sporadic, doing well for a while, then letting it drop off.  This year, I want to make it a habit that remains for life.

I've learned from other habits that I've created, the best way to make a habit is to just be persistent.  If you miss a day, start back the next day.  If you fall behind, do extra and catch up.  Don't get discouraged and quit.  A habit is created when something becomes so much a part of your day, your life, that your day doesn't feel right without it.

I'm slowly creating my habits.  I carry my Bible memory book (which was inspired by A Holy Experience) in my DayPlanner, so I can go over it every day.  I'm working on reading through the Bible in a year, and although I've already fallen a bit behind, I'm going to catch up today.  I'm working on finishing my prayer journal.  I'm not giving up.  I'm going to be persistent until my daily quiet time is something that I can't start my day without.  When my life is over, I want to leave my children a worn, marked up Bible; dog-eared books of Scriptures memorized; and a marked up prayer journal that was used daily.  I want to leave my children a legacy of faith lived out.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

"When my life is over, I want to leave my children a worn, marked up Bible; dog-eared books of Scriptures memorized; and a marked up prayer journal that was used daily. I want to leave my children a legacy of faith lived out. " Oh, I echo your words! My children are my life's work... I pray that they will have seen my faith by His grace truly lived out daily, in the ordinary.

Enjoyed your thoughts.

JOYfully in Him,
Kelli

Kathryn said...

Oh to be daily in God's word, to build strength, wisdom, knowledge and closeness to our Savior. Truly one of the best habits we can make

Michelle (She Looketh Well) said...

I carry my memory booklet with me everywhere too. Are you doing Ephesians? That is what I am working on since Nov. Blessings!

Amanda said...

Michelle, yes, I'm working on Ephesians...I just started it. I've already printed off the info Colossians so I can memorize it when I finish this one. I lo

Related Posts with Thumbnails