CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Making a Habit is Hard


I'm struggling with forming my new habits.  I blogged a few days ago about my goals for the year and about making new habits.  Making a new habit is not an easy task.  I've set aside daily time to work toward my goals.  I've printed off a 100 days calendar from A Holy Experience to help me.  I know what I want to do...but it doesn't make it easy. 

I think the hardest part of making a new habit is breaking the old habit.  It takes discipline to wake up in the morning and focus on my Bible reading and Scripture memory.  There are days when, honestly, I want to curl up on the couch and watch TV while I drink my coffee, or when my to-do list is demanding my attention right away.  I don't always have my quiet time first thing...some days I have it later in the day...or not at all.

But, as I wrote last week, it takes persistence...so I'm persisting.  If I miss a day, I forge ahead the next day.  I'm keeping my Scripture memory book in my DayPlanner - which goes everywhere with me - so I can pull it out whenever I have free time to review and study.  Starting today, I'm marking my 100 days calendar.  I can do this.  I will do this because the new habits will be well worth it.

2 comments:

Mandy said...

For me the hardest part is reminding myself that skipping one or two days, doesn't mean I can't pick up again on day 3...

Phil said...

Hi. Great to hear of your desire to make Scripture memory a new habit. I believe God will richly bless and reward your efforts. My favorite Scripture memory website is www.memverse.com which could bring some encouragement, inspiration, and support from other Scripture enthusiasts to help you with your goal.

In Christ, Phil Walker

Related Posts with Thumbnails