CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Bittersweet Milestones


My eight year old is growing up way too fast.  Last night I had just finished reading with the boys when he looked at and hesitantly asked if he could ask me a question without hurting my feelings.  "Of course," I said.  He had my curiosity up.  "Well, I'm getting old enough that you don't have to tuck me in every night."

Ouch.  He didn't hurt my feelings...I assured him that I understand he's growing up.  What I didn't tell him is that I felt like he ripped my heart out and stomped on it.  But at the same time, I felt proud that he has the confidence and independence to grow up and let go.

I have a feeling that there are many more bittersweet milestones still to come.  Girlfriends, driver's licenses, college, weddings..both of my boys are growing and changing so fast.  But despite the occasional sadness, I'm so proud to see the young men they are becoming, and I feel so blessed to have the privelage of being their mom.  Its time to hang on and enjoy their childhoods...and do some letting go, too.

1 comments:

Angie said...

Awww... that is so sweet! You are doing a great job raising your kids! Good job mom!

Related Posts with Thumbnails