CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, March 28, 2010

Something's Wrong...

I'm seeing something lately that really bothers me…I don't know if it's something new, or if it's just something I never noticed before. I'm seeing so many Christians who are just muddling through life, barely plodding along, just being average…mediocre…lukewarm…almost zombie-like.

My husband preached not long ago about being average, and he gave some statistics on the "average" Christian. The average Christian goes to church 1.5 times a month, rarely prays, and only occasionally picks up their Bible. I'm noticing a trend among co-workers, friends, and even family members that the "average" Christian reads horoscopes and uses bad language, too. I'm not saying that Christianity is a list of "do" and "do not" rules that have to be followed, but I see what's now considered average, and I don't want to be average!

I'm reading Francis Chan's book, Crazy Love, and it's completely rocking my world. He starts the book off with a simple statement that pretty much sums up the entire book - we all know something's wrong. He is challenging me in so many ways, asking me to really think about God's crazy love for us, forcing me to look at what it means to be a lukewarm Christian (that was a painful chapter to read), asking the hard question - are we offering God our best, or are we offering Him our leftovers? Ouch.

But I needed that. I'm tired of muddling along. I'm tired of doing the same thing. I'm tired of dragging myself through life knowing that spiritually, things could be better, but not sure what to do about it. I'm not a perfect Christian - not even close. I know I have weaknesses and failures. I know that I will never be good enough because of anything I've ever done or ever could do. But for reasons I'll never understand, Jesus loves me, and I want to be as much like Him as I can be, even if that means being radical compared to others. Something is wrong in our churches, in our faith today, and I'm ready to change it and make it right.

1 comments:

jeana said...

I love this post, and that book! Such an eye opener. I understand how you're feeling and feel the exact same way. its quite frustrating when you are starting to really "get it" and look around at the people you know a see how many don't. Something thats been on my heart and I've definately been praying about!

Related Posts with Thumbnails